Why Chelsea must quickly solve striker crisis after £55m FFP blow
Mauricio Pochettino will likely have a number of January striker targets in mind as Chelsea’s problems up front continue. Despite both Nicolas Jackson and Christopher Nkunku being signed in the summer, the Blues have struggled significant for goals especially with the latter making just four appearances since his switch from RB Leipzig.
Nkunku missed the first few months with a knee injury and now he is sidelined because of a hip issue at the exact same time Jackson is away at AFCON with Senegal. As a result, Cole Palmer started up front in the 1-0 Carabao Cup defeat to Middlesbrough with Armando Broja on the bench.
Since that loss, a major transfer chance has emerged for Pochettino and co to potentially sign Newcastle striker Alexander Isak. While Jackson is away, a vacant spot in the matchday squad appears up for grabs, although Chelsea may have just confirmed who will be stepping in for the 22-year-old.
Latest Chelsea transfer rumours.
Isak to Chelsea boost
Manchester City, Everton and Arsenal are not the only Premier League teams dealing with some FFP concerns. Due to the amount of spending done in recent windows, Newcastle appear unable to sign any players in the January window and those financial concerns are so prominent that a marquee first-team star may have to be sold.
The obvious candidate is Bruno Guimaraes, although Alexander Isak could also be sacrificed given the Magpies paid Real Sociedad £55million for his services. Since his move to Tyneside, Isak has scored 23 goals in 49 games and is certainly considered to be a proven Premier League goal-scorer.
football.london says: “Chelsea need a striker imminently and with a deal for Ivan Toney, Victor Osimhen or Dominic Solanke appearing a challenge, Isak could be their best bet. In fact, the Sweden international could be considered the best option out of those three considering he has already adapted to the league, is not coming fresh off a long-term ban and has been able to provide consistent displays over a prolonged period.
“Convincing Newcastle to sell would certainly be difficult to sell but the perilous position they find themselves in has seen the chances of Isak moving to Stamford Bridge increase significantly.”
Jackson replacement confirmed
Signing wonderkids has become quite the trend for Chelsea under their new ownership with the latest transfer announcement another of those. Dujuan Richards was confirmed as a new signing for the Blues last summer but he was unable to join up with the senior team until he turned 18.
With his birthday back in November, that date has arrived with his move to west London confirmed on Friday. “I’m so pleased to be here,” Richards told Chelsea’s official website. “My dream was always to sign a professional contract and to have the chance to do that here at Chelsea, it’s difficult to put into words the emotions. I just can’t wait to get started.”
football.london says “Richards has been touted for a big future in the game with Newcastle previously taking an interest. Given the 18-year-old has already trained with Chelsea during their US pre-season tour, Pochettino has already been able to take a look at him and given the lack of available bodies in attack he could feasibly be Jackson’s replacement for the next few weeks.
“Pochettino has not been shy when it comes to naming youngsters on his bench with continuing injury problems often meaning he has no choice. Considering the options available not including Cole Palmer, one of Raheem Sterling, Noni Madueke, Armando Broja or Mykhailo Mudryk will be on the bench and Richards could join that player to offer some further depth in the forward areas.”